Monday, November 6, 2017

Chapters 7-8/Book 2 Chapters 1-2

"Do you know,' he said, 'that until this moment I believed I had murdered my mother?'
 'Why did you murder her?' said Julia, almost sleep.
'I didn't murder her. Not physically.'
In the dream he had remembered his last glimpse of his mother, and within a few moments of waking the cluster of small events surrounding it had all come back."

On the topic of dreams and nightmares, this glimpse of Winston's mother his deep. As we talked about how dreams can heal, remember, forget or help us cope with certain things, we can see that Winston's most recent dream of his mother is a a mix of healing and remembering. Up until then, Winston had no idea that he was not the actual murderer of his mother. After his dream, he remembers enough to know he is not the actual murderer but sadly does not know the culprit for her death. This memory also serves as a healing dream for Winston. Winston carried around the burden of the murdering of his mother. As he find out that he didn't actually murder her, that burden on his back slowly eases of his back. Along with the burden on his back, Winston heals with memories of his mother and family. The more his remembers about his family, especially his mother and little sister, he heals as he gains more memories of them.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your explanation of the quote. As he remembers more about what happened to his mom, his conscience clears up since he knows he did not actually murder his mom. I used to think that dreams were only because we wanted certain things to happen, yet Winston shows that we dream to remember and heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your explanation of the quote. Winston's dream does heal him in some way through having more memories.

    ReplyDelete